Tell WATCO: Safe Contract = Safe Community
TELL WATCO THAT A SAFE CONTRACT MEANS A SAFER COMMUNITY - ADD YOUR NAME TO OUR PETITION
Important Facts for the Community:
- Watco operates a crude oil rail-yard unloading facility in Linden, N.J.
- This rail-yard is responsible for unloading a sizable amount of Bakken crude oil for the Bayway Refinery.
- This Watco facility is located right in the middle of multiple residential neighborhoods, extremely close to schools and recreational parks.
- Bakken crude oil is very dangerous, it's highly combustable and more flammable than traditional crude oil, due to the chemicals that have been used in its extraction process.
- "Each tank car of crude holds the energy equivalent of 2 million sticks of dynamite or the fuel in a widebody jetliner." (WSJ)
- Around 100 of these rail cars are traveling through your community every day.
- This Union organized the workers at Watco who were fed up with unsafe conditions and we are currently negotiating a first contract with the company. This Union is fighting for a safe contract. We're fighting to make sure this rail-yard is run safely - for the benefit of everyone, our community and our workers.
- But we need help from you, the community. Please tell Watco as long as this rail-yard is in operation, that it must be run safely. A safe contract means a safer community.
Check back for any updates!